We love our pets but if you have a dog or other pet of your own, you know that it isn’t cheap. There are many expenses that can come into having a pet. You have to consider everything from the small basics like food and shelter to bigger problems such as veterinary care and emergencies. Then you also have to factor in those little extras like toys and snacks.
It can seem like the cost of having a pet goes up more and more every day but there are things you can do to help save money with your pets. When you put a little time and extra thought into how you care for your pet and the supplies you buy for him, you can save even more than you thought imaginable.
Here are some ideas:
- Shop at discount stores- there are many great discount stores that also carry pet supplies. Do you ever frequent discount stores for things you need yourself or around the house? While there, check out their pet supply section and see if you can save a little cash on things you need anyway for your pet. Always make sure you check for quality and be sure it’s something you actually need. Don’t buy something just for the sake of a good deal.
- Shop online- the Internet can often give you better deals than you find in local stores and help you save some money. You pay shipping but you save on the gas to drive around to the store so it balances out.
- Shop clearance sections- Clearance sections are a great place to find a deal, pets included. Keep an eye out on the clearance sections to help you save some money on your pet supplies.
- Shop the unexpected- don’t be afraid to look for deals on pet items in unexpected places. For example, gates to keep your pet block in or out of a room are generally cheaper at baby stores or the local Wal Mart than they are at pet stores.
- Shop thrift stores- you can also save a great deal on pet items from thrift stores. Just make sure if giving your pet used items that you check them for quality and safety.
- Rotate the toys- this works for dogs and other pets just like it does for small children. Take your toy basket and separate some of them out. Every couple of weeks you can rotate a portion of the toys back in and your pet will feel like he’s getting something new but you didn’t have to spend a dime.
- Save on vet bills- you can even save on your veterinary visits by asking your vet about possible discounts and coupons. Often when you bring your pet in during a particular time when there is a promotion or discount available, you can save. Timing is everything!
These are just a few ideas for ways that you can save money with your pets. We challenge you to look around for new and better ways you can save. One piece of advice, however, don’t skimp on the food. When it comes to food, quality is key. Good quality food costs little more than the cheap stuff but is much better for your pet and can save you money in the long run by keeping your pet healthier.